Wednesday, August 10, 2005


A weird thing happened on my second book Scared! (Co-authored with Bryan Baugh), I got to draw Frankenstein's monster for the first time. I was equally influenced by Bernie Wrightson's work and the MAD cartooning style of Jack Davis (remember his 6 foot wall Frankenstein advertised in most comic books during the early 80's?). I never had given Frankie much thought, but I discovered I really did enjoy drawing this man-made monster. I think the strength of the character lies in Mary Shelley's original depiction of the creature as a sorrowful reanimated monstrosity of nature. The story's central warning of man should not play God also holds great appeal for me. Since that initial drawing I've received lots of interest in my depiction of the monster which have resulted in me landing a few new jobs, so that pale faced patchwork man has been pretty good to me.

No comments: